Friday, June 29, 2012

Support


I had a call from someone recently who wanted to join a support group for caregivers.  Unfortunately, she had a time conflict with my group.

But what's important is what I heard in her voice.  She described herself as a middle-aged professional who is self-sufficient, independent, doesn't shy away from challenges.  Or at least, hasn't in the past.  But this was not the voice of a person who feels confident and in-charge.  It was the voice of someone feeling scared, lost, confused.  She went on to say that a sister had been diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and was suddenly needing a lot of support -- physically, emotionally and, at some point, possibly financially.

She had essentially moved from shock to fear, sadness, and anger that her sister's life would never be the same, and her's wouldn't be either.

"I need a lot of help," she said.  "I need support myself."

Admitting that you can't do it on your own is a sign of great bravery.  It is an important first step.  Don't go through this alone!



No comments:

Post a Comment