Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Who's in charge?

When you're caring for someone, things come up that really piss you off. They don't respond to something that you've done for them. Or the respond by complaining. The people who shold also be helping let you down. Or just when you think you have everything under control, something else goes wrong.

One of the most important lessons from these situations is that, while somebody should be in control -- hopefully you as the caregiver -- nobody is in control. The randomness of life, which brought this situation into the life of your loved one and, in turn, into your life, goes on. On and on and on with the randomness. If you think you can stop what's going on, or otherwise fix it, you're gonna stay pissed off.

I remind myself over and over that I'm not in control. I don't always like to be reminded of this.

And I comfort myself by reminding myself that I don't have to be in control.

I try to take each day as it comes, and put out each fire the best way that I can. And since I don't have to be in control, I also try to enlist others to help out.

Today, before I comforted myself with the reminder that I don't have to control everything, I released the F bomb into the universe a few times. That, too, was comforting.





No comments:

Post a Comment