Sunday, November 27, 2011

Looking ahead

I met a wonderful couple over the weekend. These are two people who clearly love each other, who enjoy each other's company, who enjoy their life together. They have a beautiful home, wonderful family and friends. So joyful, so content. And then afterwards I was told that he has a serious illness -- very serious -- that will require extensive treatment that may, or may not, be effective. They know this. If the had told me what was happening in their lives, what could I have said? I guess I would have honored them for living in the moment, for enjoying that day, for being present with each other and with the people that they invited into their home. And I would have wanted to make myself available to them in any way possible, to be present with them. And I would have wanted to somehow make the reality of their lives go away, but I know I couldn't. I was aware of the power of being mindful, of living each day in the present, each moment as if it might be the last. But I was also aware of the feeling of helplessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment